[Samba] Share name and file rights

Bengt Nilsson bengt.nilsson11 at spray.se
Wed Sep 24 19:55:13 GMT 2008

A question about share names:

When we open a samba share, I want the symbol on my desktop to have
the name "johndoe at sambaserver1", not just "johndoe".
This is because we have a number of different "sambaservers" that
johndoe can log on to, and it will be a mess on his desktop if he uses
several connections at the same time.

i cannot find this feature in the docs (if I did i would't be here)
but I am sure it must exist.

What entry should I add/modify in smb.conf to control this?

A question about creation rights:

Directories should have x-rights, and text files should not, otherwise
they will be regarded as like programs  or shell scripts in unix
environment.
If I use create = 0700 directories are ok, but text files becomes
shell scripts, which I do not like. I cannot double-click on them in
CDE to popen them as documents.
If I use create 0600 I cannot access my folders.
Am I right or have I misunderstood someting?
Is there a way to keep correct directory access and still handle
documents with -rw------?

BN