[Samba] dabase file and oplocks

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Tue Sep 23 15:01:25 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 16 September 2008 Luca Ferrari's cat, walking on the keyboard,
wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using a Linux server (A) with samba 3.0.28 which exports a directory
> that contains database files (Dataflex .dat files) and that are mounted by
> a Linux machine (B) that runs Samba 3.0.2. Now the problem is that the
> files are corrupted when accessed by the machine B, even if the machine A
> exports the directory with oplocks = no, kernel oplocks = no and level2
> oplocks = no. Before upgrading the samba on the server A I did not have
> such problem (before I was running samba 3.0.2). Now I'm experiencing this
> problem in data corruption. Any suggestion about how to get rid of this? Or
> how to better investigate and understand what is going wrong? What I've
> seen is that it seems the database is unable to get the lock on the files,
> since it allows two write at the same time with, of course, unpredictable
> results. I don't know what other configuration/experiment I can do.

After an upgrade of the samba libraries on the ubuntu system it seems to work
better, but sometimes I still have a little misbehaving between the two
hosts, and data that is present on the main server is still not visible on
the remote host or vice-versa. Seems a problem of flushing, any idea about?

Thanks,
Luca