[Samba] Missing files and folders on Vista

Antoine Leblanc crucuny at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 16:48:47 GMT 2008

Antoine Leblanc a écrit :
>> Hello everyone.
>> I'm having a small problem while using samba 3.0.30 on FreeBSD that
>> two months of googling haven't managed to fix: when a folder contains
>> two many elements, Vista only lists a small amount of them. I made my
>> tests with a folder containing around 1000 sub-folders (which have the
>> same unix file mode). Vista was first only showing around 250 of them.
>> After upgrading samba to 3.0.30, Vista "sees" around 400... When
>> connecting from Mac OS X I can see the whole 1000 sub-folders. Has
>> anyone already met this kind of problem?
>> Thanks for reading (and sorry for my poor English).
>
> Some news from that:
>   - the missing folders contain no accent or any specific character that
> may cause any problem,
>   - if I move any of the missing folders into any other less "crowded"
> folder, I can see it and access it without any problem,
>   - if I enter the name of the missing folder in the address bar, I can
> also access it without any problem.
>   - XP sees exactly the same amount of folders that Vista does,
>   - by just creating a new directory (`mkdir test`) in the folder, the
> number of folders seen jumped from 411 to 548.
> Thanks in advance for your help!

I might even add (sorry for spamming) that the number of folders seen
highly depends on actions such as creating a new sub-folder :
   - as mentioned, creating a "test" folder increases the number of
folders seen to 548 ; deleting it brings back the counter to 411,
   - creating a new folder "test" with Vista brings down the counter to 135,
   - if I move all the folders in a new sub-folder, Vista now sees n - 1
of them. Moving them back brings the number of folders seen to what it was.

That seems to be highly irrational... I tried to set a high debug level,
but accessing and refreshing the folder does not seem to trigger any
log. I also tried to deinstall and reinstall samba then reboot the
server, but that didn't change anything.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Antoine Leblanc