[Samba] Different IPs on a samba server #2

Leonardo Boselli leo at dicea.unifi.it
Sun Oct 19 09:44:52 GMT 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us wrote:
> sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us wrote:
> >>are you running wins server = yes and msdfs root = yes on the samba
> >> server?

It occurred also to me, with a 100% win2000 (PDC and WS) network:
wins is based on broadcasts. so these does not passed the routers, and
yes, they need some time to propagate, even 4 or more hours !
the way i resolved was this:
first open a share on the PDC, calling it with the IP.
This will of course authenticate since it must know who is the PDC and
has not to resort on any NS resolution.
Then log on the other server.

> Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
> Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?

since you have no idea on what part of the message you are replying to.
of course is a worse idea to quote the entire message, either top or
bottom.