[Samba] Different IPs on a samba server #2

sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us sgmayo at mail.bloomfield.k12.mo.us
Fri Oct 17 19:59:42 GMT 2008

>>> 192.168.0.0---*----------------255.255.255.0------eth2
>>> 10.0.0.0------*----------------255.255.0.0--------eth1
>>> 127.0.0.0-----*----------------255.0.0.0----------lo
>>>
>>> eth1 is 10.0.0.1 (in the firewall/router)
>>> eth2 is 192.168.0.254 (in the firewall/router)
>>>
>>> Everything works fine from my local network as far as accessing the
>>> samba
>>> server.  From the 192.168 network, it does not though.  If I go to a
>>> workstation Start->Run and type in \\samba_servername it tells me the
>>> network is not found.  If I type in \\samba_ipaddress\share then it
>>> gives
>>> me a logon prompt, but it will never authenticate, it just keeps asking
>>> for the password like I typed the wrong one.  Both of these work fine
>>> from
>>> the 10.0. network.
>>>
>>> I added 'hosts allow = 10.0 192.168.0 localhost' in the smb.conf
>>> thinking
>>> that this would allow both networks, but I guess this is not the case.
>>>
>>> Is there anything else that I need to do to access the samba server?
>>> It
>>> is a domain controller as well (not sure if that will make any
>>> difference
>>> as far as connection from the other IP addresses).
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be welcomed.  I am not sure if I need to be
>>> looking
>>> at some routing in my firewall, or something in my Samba server.

Well, it seems to be working now and I have no idea why.  I was testing
some things and took the 192.168 alias off of the samba NIC, which put it
back to the way it was and now everything seems to work.  I have no idea
why because it was not working before unless it just took a while for
something to get distributed across the network.

I guess that I will be happy that it is working and won't worry about why
right now.

Thanks for all the help.

--
Scott Mayo - System Administrator
Bloomfield Schools

Question: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
Answer: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?