[Samba] Print only server

jax at nwmt.us jax at nwmt.us
Tue Nov 25 04:37:14 GMT 2008

I have what you are looking to do working quite well.

We have a server by the name of printserver such that the users can just
browse to \\printserver and use it.  It stands in front of 12 Windows2k3
printservers each has between 50 and 400 printers on it... don't ask,
hospital, lots of repeats, and around 1000 total printers.

anyway, we wanted a central location for all our users to go to to load
printers - intead of remembering each printserver - and we also wanted the
freedom to add/remove/move/migrate/whatever those printers around on the
backend printservers- the win2k3 systems.  We got all the stuff working
just fine with a CUPS based system, but then the users complained about
having to use CUPS and that it wasn't the way they wanted... so we had to
integrate Samba.  Since this is VERY similar to what you want to do - only
that we have cups forward the printjobs off to windows systems, and you
have CUPS do the printing, i think that our working smb.conf should help
you out.

We have created a user, admincis, which is a smbuser as well.  You need to
login to the workstation as this user in order to install the printdrivers.
Basically the procedure is to browse //printserver, scroll to the "Printers
and Faxes" icon, dbl click that, and then for each printer you have,
right-click on it, and install your printer drivers - it's not the first
time it asks either.

Here, read this, it was a good article:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html

anyway, here is our smb.conf:
[global]
   workgroup = primarycare
   server string = %h server
   wins server = 10.6.1.21
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 2
   ;max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   security = share
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   invalid users = root
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   load printers = yes
   printing = cups
   cups options = raw
   printcap name = cups