[Samba] Print only server

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Tue Nov 25 04:40:11 GMT 2008

> So, I decided to move to IPP printing served at linux.  XP and even
> windows 98 (with patch, original windows 98 do not support IPP) could
> print without any problem, easily.

The problem with this sort of setup is that drivers need to be loaded on
individual machines, which can be rather time consuming, and that IPP
printers are considered "local" by NT which means that only admins can
install/delete them. SMB printers (as long as the drivers are loaded or
the server is trusted) can be added/removed by normal users.

> Is there no easy way to have an open ended system but still have the
> ability to upload drivers to the samba server?
I'm not quite sure what the procedure is for uploading drivers to a
server with share mode security, but I am sure it can be done.

The other options are:
Switch to user security temporarily, upload the drivers and switch back.
Obviously this is a hack and no good for day to day operations.

Switch to user level security permanently. To be honest, I can't see why
anyone would want to run with share level security, it is a remnant of
windows 9x that I would be happy to forget. Guest level access is easy
to configure under user security and works perfectly. This also paves
the way for easy administration of security should you decide to
implement it down the road.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>