[Samba] Outlook and roaming profiles?

Ong Chin Kiat titantoppler at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 04:43:48 GMT 2008

Hi list,

I'm trying to migrate from a workgroup based Samba server to a domain based
Samba server.

I need the following features
- Roaming profiles
- LDAP based user administration / authentication

I think the LDAP part is mostly doable, though I do foresee some hair
tearing, but my main concern is with the roaming profiles.

Users do not have a fixed workstation and log-on to whichever workstation is
available. However, they need to be access their mail through Outlook. This
is the crucial point. AFAIK, there is no way to use Outlook with roaming
profiles. A quick search on the Microsoft website indicates that I would
need an Exchange server to implement roaming profiles+mail.

My question is - can it be done without Exchange (ie using PST files)? My
understanding is that the size of the PST files prohibits roaming profiles.
FWIW, my mail configuration is IMAP based, not POP-based, so it _might_ make
the PST files smaller, though I'm not sure.

Thanks.