[Samba] samba server maxing out cpu, load up to 10

Alex Harrington alex at longhill.org.uk
Tue May 20 10:39:08 GMT 2008

> I reboot the server and sometimes it seems to help for a couple days,
and sometimes the
> load immediately comes back and we just have to wait till the next
day.

We used to have a similar problem - but I've not seen it in a long time.

It was always a badly behaved PC and often involved a Publisher document
being stuck open.

Running top, see if one smbd process is hogging the CPU. You should be
able to work that back to a PC using smbstatus, and I think that's where
the problem will be...

Alex

--
Alex Harrington - Network Manager, Longhill High School

t: 01273 304086 | e: alex at longhill.org.uk