[Samba] samba server maxing out cpu, load up to 10

James A. Dinkel jdinkel at bucoks.com
Mon May 19 22:11:50 GMT 2008

This is samba 3.0.23c running on RHEL 5.0.  Starting a few months ago,
the server started periodically slowing to a crawl.  The cpu would be
maxed out and top would show the load between 5 and 10 (it's usually way
under 1, like 0.3 to 0.5).

Any way to figure out what is causing this?  This is a 3.2 ghz P4 and a
'pgrep smbd' returns 141 processes.  We only have about 300 users who
could be accessing it.  This server also authenticates to a Windows 2000
domain controller.

I reboot the server and sometimes it seems to help for a couple days,
and sometimes the load immediately comes back and we just have to wait
till the next day.

Thanks for any help,

James