[Samba] NetBIOS name resolution from Linux

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat May 17 12:26:00 GMT 2008

On Saturday 17 May 2008 06:41:08 am Olivier Parisy wrote:
> John H Terpstra a écrit :

> >> Hops really don't matter... most ISP DNS servers are unreliable... some
> >> are extremely unreliable... I said 'random' meaning, it really wouldn't
> >> matter what ISP you were using, I'd say the same thing...
> >
> > OK - now that we have split the atom regarding what might be the best DNS
> > solution, how does this help resolve NetBIOS names within Linux? Have I
> > missed something vital in this thread?  Seems I must have.
> >
> > I'd like to know how you propose to store the name_type info in DNS?
> >
> > For example, how would you store "MYSERVERNAME<20>" in DNS?
> >
> > Next, how will you teach the Windows client to search DNS for that info.
> > After all, we are dealing with the NetBIOS name space.
>
> With all due respect, that is not clear to me either.
>
> I am "only" looking for a simple way to resolve NetBIOS names on a Linux
> machine. Replacing NetBIOS resolution by a full-fledged local DNS would,
> I suppose, be appropriate on an enterprise-scale network, but we are
> just talking about an home LAN here (which I should have stated more
> clearly from the start).

I am a little lost at to what the problem is here.  WINS does not require
winbindd to be running.  On the Linux system it requires:

1) In your /etc/nsswitch.conf file:
hosts:  files wins [NOTFOUND=return] dns

2) Install the samba file libnss_wins.so.2 in the /lib directory (or on 64-bit
systems in the /lib64 directory)

3) Run nmbd

That's it!  What is so difficult?  What makes this so complicated?  If you do
not need DNS, then don't even run it (or else just run a caching DNS server).

Winbind is orthogonal to wins.  They serve entirely differing purposes.

- John T.