[Samba] NetBIOS name resolution from Linux

Olivier Parisy ml.olivier.parisy at free.fr
Sat May 17 11:41:08 GMT 2008

John H Terpstra a écrit :

>>> First why use open dns servers.
>>> the dns servers of your provider is much less hops away.
>>>
>> Hops really don't matter... most ISP DNS servers are unreliable... some
>> are extremely unreliable... I said 'random' meaning, it really wouldn't
>> matter what ISP you were using, I'd say the same thing...
>>

> OK - now that we have split the atom regarding what might be the best DNS
> solution, how does this help resolve NetBIOS names within Linux? Have I
> missed something vital in this thread?  Seems I must have.
>
> I'd like to know how you propose to store the name_type info in DNS?
>
> For example, how would you store "MYSERVERNAME<20>" in DNS?
>
> Next, how will you teach the Windows client to search DNS for that info.
> After all, we are dealing with the NetBIOS name space.

With all due respect, that is not clear to me either.

I am "only" looking for a simple way to resolve NetBIOS names on a Linux
machine. Replacing NetBIOS resolution by a full-fledged local DNS would,
I suppose, be appropriate on an enterprise-scale network, but we are
just talking about an home LAN here (which I should have stated more
clearly from the start).

My understanding is the following: I need to bridge NetBIOS name
resolution, as provided by nmbd, with the libc gethostbyname() standard
call. The Name Service Switch (NSS) seems to be designed for this
purpose: by adding a "wins" entry in nsswitch.conf and installing
winbind, the later can then act as a service to NSS (through
/lib/libnss_wins.so.2; or is it /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2?).

Now, all of this is nice and dandy, but installing winbind opens a whole
can of worms for me: since it also insists in handling my users and
groups (which, as I understand it, is its primary goal after all), it
cannot work "out of the box" and breaks my simple SMB share setting.

So I would say that winbind (or the fact that winbind + libnss_wins.so
are distributed as the same packet on Debian?) is overkill for me.

Is this description correct? I'd be very interested in a confirmation.

Regards.