[Samba] Strange behaviour of Samba3 with wireless clients

Carlo Sogono carlo.sogono at anchor.com.au
Tue Mar 4 04:08:05 GMT 2008

Rubin Bennett wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:08 +1100, Carlo Sogono wrote:
>
>> I have built my own wireless AP with Ubuntu 7.10 and an Atheros-based
>> wireless card. My problem is that I can't access any of the Samba shares
>> with my wireless clients...they can all search for the server, get
>> prompted for a login then it just hangs and eventually times out.
>>
>> The same clients, when using their LAN ports to connect to the same
>> server, are able to do everything--browse and access Samba shares. I
>> have experimented with the smb.conf file to include the wireless AP's
>> device (ath0), subnet and even allowing it to bind on all interfaces.
>> During those times, samba *does* bind on the device/device's IP when
>> doing 'netstat -tln'.
>>
>> I have also checked my firewall settings. The rules I have for my local
>> LAN on eth1 is identical to ath0 so I don't see a problem there. In fact
>> I can do everything on my wireless clients except Samba.
>>
>> Here are some details of my setup:
>> Ubuntu 7.10 server
>> eth0 - ADSL modem; running pppoe
>> eth1 - local LAN
>> ath0 - wireless LAN
>> madwifi drivers for Atheros chips
>> hostapd to handle WPA2+PSK authentication
>> iptables for IP filtering
>> samba3
>>
>> Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.
>>

> What happens if you do an smbclient -L //{IP of WIFI card} from the
> server?  Do you get a list of shares?
>
> I'm assuming that you've proofed out the WIFI side of things (i.e. the
> wireless clients can ping the server etc. etc.)?
>
> Also make sure there's no NAT on the WIFI interface screwing things up -
> iptables -t nat -L
>
> Rubin

As I am at work at the moment I cannot try it but I'm pretty sure it
would fail since my client's shares are disabled. :P When I said
everything else works that includes having to access the following
services of the server: http, ftp and ssh. My server is also a file
server so I have no problems accessing my files via FTP/SFTP.