[Samba] Strange behaviour of Samba3 with wireless clients

Rubin Bennett rbennett at thatitguy.com
Tue Mar 4 03:46:01 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:08 +1100, Carlo Sogono wrote:
> I have built my own wireless AP with Ubuntu 7.10 and an Atheros-based
> wireless card. My problem is that I can't access any of the Samba shares
> with my wireless clients...they can all search for the server, get
> prompted for a login then it just hangs and eventually times out.
>
> The same clients, when using their LAN ports to connect to the same
> server, are able to do everything--browse and access Samba shares. I
> have experimented with the smb.conf file to include the wireless AP's
> device (ath0), subnet and even allowing it to bind on all interfaces.
> During those times, samba *does* bind on the device/device's IP when
> doing 'netstat -tln'.
>
> I have also checked my firewall settings. The rules I have for my local
> LAN on eth1 is identical to ath0 so I don't see a problem there. In fact
> I can do everything on my wireless clients except Samba.
>
> Here are some details of my setup:
> Ubuntu 7.10 server
> eth0 - ADSL modem; running pppoe
> eth1 - local LAN
> ath0 - wireless LAN
> madwifi drivers for Atheros chips
> hostapd to handle WPA2+PSK authentication
> iptables for IP filtering
> samba3
>
> Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.

What happens if you do an smbclient -L //{IP of WIFI card} from the
server?  Do you get a list of shares?

I'm assuming that you've proofed out the WIFI side of things (i.e. the
wireless clients can ping the server etc. etc.)?

Also make sure there's no NAT on the WIFI interface screwing things up -
iptables -t nat -L

Rubin

--
Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies
rbennett at thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
  --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759