[Samba] Strange behaviour of Samba3 with wireless clients

Rubin Bennett rbennett at thatitguy.com
Tue Mar 4 04:12:51 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 15:08 +1100, Carlo Sogono wrote:
> Rubin Bennett wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:08 +1100, Carlo Sogono wrote:
> >
> >> I have built my own wireless AP with Ubuntu 7.10 and an Atheros-based
> >> wireless card. My problem is that I can't access any of the Samba shares
> >> with my wireless clients...they can all search for the server, get
> >> prompted for a login then it just hangs and eventually times out.
> >>
> >> The same clients, when using their LAN ports to connect to the same
> >> server, are able to do everything--browse and access Samba shares. I
> >> have experimented with the smb.conf file to include the wireless AP's
> >> device (ath0), subnet and even allowing it to bind on all interfaces.
> >> During those times, samba *does* bind on the device/device's IP when
> >> doing 'netstat -tln'.
> >>
> >> I have also checked my firewall settings. The rules I have for my local
> >> LAN on eth1 is identical to ath0 so I don't see a problem there. In fact
> >> I can do everything on my wireless clients except Samba.
> >>
> >> Here are some details of my setup:
> >> Ubuntu 7.10 server
> >> eth0 - ADSL modem; running pppoe
> >> eth1 - local LAN
> >> ath0 - wireless LAN
> >> madwifi drivers for Atheros chips
> >> hostapd to handle WPA2+PSK authentication
> >> iptables for IP filtering
> >> samba3
> >>
> >> Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.
> >>

> > What happens if you do an smbclient -L //{IP of WIFI card} from the
> > server?  Do you get a list of shares?
> >
> > I'm assuming that you've proofed out the WIFI side of things (i.e. the
> > wireless clients can ping the server etc. etc.)?
> >
> > Also make sure there's no NAT on the WIFI interface screwing things up -
> > iptables -t nat -L
> >
> > Rubin
> >

> As I am at work at the moment I cannot try it but I'm pretty sure it
> would fail since my client's shares are disabled. :P When I said
> everything else works that includes having to access the following
> services of the server: http, ftp and ssh. My server is also a file
> server so I have no problems accessing my files via FTP/SFTP.
> >> Carlo

I meant test the WIFI interface of the server _from_ the server.  If you
can't connect to the server's interface from that box, then you likely
won't be able to connect to it from another client system.

I have to admit that the more likely sounding culprit here is the
framing...

Rubin

--
Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies
rbennett at thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
  --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759