[Samba] do i need posix users/groups in ldap

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Fri Jun 6 08:53:00 GMT 2008

Collen Blijenberg wrote:

> in order to use the ldap backend, you need to insert the posix users
> in ldap as well ??
> there is no way to get it work, with the normal basic setup (passwd
> shadow group ect. files)
>
> that's odd ?!

It isn't completely impossible, if you really wanted to have two
seperate user dbs I'm sure you could hack something together, but it
would completely eliminate the main advantage of LDAP.

If you aren't interested in the benefits of having a single db, why are
you using LDAP? Why not use one of the other simpler backends?

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>