[Samba] Samba shares are case-sensitive in Windows = bad

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Tue Jan 15 23:19:41 GMT 2008

thomas62186218 at aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the quick response. Here are more details:
>
> Linux 2.6.20.11 64-bit SMP kernel-based Xeon server running Samba 3.0.27
> Shares created on the Linux server using Samba to export to Windows
> clients
>
> On the Windows client, access the Samba share.
> Create directories called "TEST", "test", "TesT" all in the same
> directory on the Samba share. It is permitted. I do not get any
> notification from Windows that the directory name already exists. The
> new directories get created successfully. I can provide a screenshot
> if needed.
>
> If I try to do this on a local Windows hard drive (C:), it of course
> will warn me about the directory name already existing.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
> -Thomas

As I mentioned in a previous message, this is entirely expected if you
have enabled case sensitivity (which is set to auto by default). If you
don't have case sensitivity enabled, you should probably try posting
your config (a screenshot doesn't provide much in the way of diagnostic
information).

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>