[Samba] Migrate Windows 2000 (Active Directory Integrated) Domain to Samba

Mon Jan 14 17:00:10 GMT 2008

Andrew Bartlett, on 1/13/2008 9:40 PM, said the following:
> On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 09:08 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> I read everywhere about migrating an NT4 domain, but nowhere says you
>> can do the same with a Windows 2000 (NOT mixed mode) domain...
>>
>> This client does NOT currently use AD for anything special (GPO, etc).
>>
>> Is this possible? Advised?

> The clients will need to be rejoined (otherwise they will not use system
> policies, as they expect group policies), but yes, it is otherwise
> possible.
>
> The main thing you want is the SIDs to remain consistent, and the
> passwords.  If these don't matter to you, then perhaps rebuilding is
> easier.

Yes, I think it will be. Its only about 50 machines - and some of the
user profiles have been around for 5+ years (so have seen a lot of
'updates'), so maybe thats a good thing to do anyway.

Thanks for the response.

--

Best regards,

Charles