[Samba] page_count x number_of_copies

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Wed Feb 27 07:37:10 GMT 2008

Fabiano Caixeta Duarte wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have a samba print server which stores information about each job. To
> accomplish this, I have set 'printing = sysv' so I can use print command.
>
> Print command passes to a script some info including '%c' (page_count).
> The problem is that if someone sends more than one copy of the document,
> %c doesn't tell me so.
>
> It means that %c tells exactly the number of pages sent to the printer
> without doing the necessary math.
>
> How can I know the real amount of pages sent to the printer?
>
> Thanks in advance!

What do you use for your print spooler? If you are using cups there is a
backend/filter/thing (i forget what it is called) that will do page
counting. The advantage of it is that it will count actual pages printed
which means it will deal not only with your multiple copies issue but
also if the job is deleted before reaching the printer or if the printer
is offline.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>