[Samba] Maxtor NAS share problem

Toby Bluhm tkb at midwestinstruments.com
Tue Apr 29 20:34:27 GMT 2008

Rick Johnson wrote:

>>> Trouble is that I CAN'T do my rsync to the NAS drive because it
>>
>> doesn't
>>
>>> give me the access privileges I need to write to the NAS. The rsync
>>> wants to change owner and the NAS won't let it do that.
>>

>> There are switches to modify that behaviour - -p, -o, -t, -g - and there
>> are aliases (eg -a)that switch combinations of those on or off.
>>
>> What's the exact command line you're using to rsync?
>>

> I was using a command of the form:
>
> rsync -avz /source /destination
>
> And if that had worked, I wouldn't have needed to ask this list for
> any help because ALL I was trying to do was use the NAS as a backup
> device.
> The permissions, symbolic links, etc. need to be preserved by the
> rsync so that the files can be restored correctly IF they ever need to
> be restored.
>

>> Something like rsync -r /source/ /destination should work, regardless of
>> the permissions, because rsync will write everything as whoever you're
>> logged on as (or whoever the NAS translates that to be).
>>
>> As previously suggested you can then do a recursive getfacl over /source
>> and write the output to /destination. That will create a text file with
>> all your permissions etc included in it so they can be restored by
>> setfacl if required.
>>

> I'm afraid I don't understand what purpose the getfacl or setfacl
> serves? The files on my system never had any access control lists so
> how does creating them solve my problem?

Understand that getfacl/setfacl captures/restores all file/dir
attributes, ACL or not. A saved getfacl output, used as an input to
setfacl will restore the attributes exactly - ACL or not.

Have you read the man pages on rsync, getfacl, setfacl?

> It seems to me that what I REALLY need is access to the filesystem on
> the NAS so that I can set appropriate permissions there that will
> allow the original rsync -avz command to function properly.

Which one is your goal:

1.) Get the rsync/NAS combo to work as you want/expect?
2.) Make reliable backups of your Linux box?

If you say #1 , I think it's obvious you're going to have to manhandle
the NAS box - install new firmware, hack your way in, get to the insides
somehow - cause it ain't gonna work as is.

If you say #2 , there's a lot of tools that can that done for you -
right now.

I think #2 should be your answer.

PS - you could always yank the NAS disks out, install them into your
Linux box, and make a real server.

--
Toby Bluhm
Alltech Medical Systems America, Inc.