[Samba] Maxtor NAS share problem

Rick Johnson rrj0304 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 29 15:36:55 GMT 2008

Alex Harrington wrote:
>>>I was talking about saving the Linux filesystem info. Do your rsync

>>>the NAS, then do a recursive getfacl,  redirecting the output to a
>>>file on the NAS.
>>>When you do an rsync back from the NAS, correct the owner/perms with
>>>setfacl.
>>>

>>Trouble is that I CAN'T do my rsync to the NAS drive because it
>
> doesn't
>
>>give me the access privileges I need to write to the NAS. The rsync
>>wants to change owner and the NAS won't let it do that.
>

> There are switches to modify that behaviour - -p, -o, -t, -g - and there
> are aliases (eg -a)that switch combinations of those on or off.
>
> What's the exact command line you're using to rsync?

I was using a command of the form:

rsync -avz /source /destination

And if that had worked, I wouldn't have needed to ask this list for any
help because ALL I was trying to do was use the NAS as a backup device.
The permissions, symbolic links, etc. need to be preserved by the rsync
so that the files can be restored correctly IF they ever need to be
restored.

> Something like rsync -r /source/ /destination should work, regardless of
> the permissions, because rsync will write everything as whoever you're
> logged on as (or whoever the NAS translates that to be).
>
> As previously suggested you can then do a recursive getfacl over /source
> and write the output to /destination. That will create a text file with
> all your permissions etc included in it so they can be restored by
> setfacl if required.

I'm afraid I don't understand what purpose the getfacl or setfacl
serves? The files on my system never had any access control lists so how
does creating them solve my problem?

It seems to me that what I REALLY need is access to the filesystem on
the NAS so that I can set appropriate permissions there that will allow
the original rsync -avz command to function properly.

Best Regards,

Rick J.