[Samba] Re: using samba as nfs server replacement?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Thu Apr 24 07:02:22 GMT 2008

Pakorn Chutinimitkul wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> 	I updated Samba on both client and server to 3.0.28a. Client is openSuSE 10.2. Server is Debian Lenny.  I noticed that newly created file's
> ownership will be changed to username that is used when mounting CIFS volume (under -o username=xxx,password=xxx) and the permission will be
> changed to what specified under samba configuration.
Anyone who can log into the client can see the contents of fstab (and
therefore your passwords), consider using a credentials file chmod'ed to
600.

>  Here's my config
>
> [global]
> <snip>
>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192

Unless you have a good reason to be messing with the buffer sizes,
don't. Modern OS's have perfectly good defaults, don't cripple them by
using custom settings that were good 5 (10?) years ago.
> <snip>
>
> [testvolume1]
>         comment = CIFS Mount
>         path = /mnt/disk1
>         valid users = @users
>         admin users = @root
>         write list = @users
>         read only = No
>         hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

This is OK-ish. The write list is pointless since the share is not read
only. Do you really need the admin users setting? I'm sure there are
situations where it is required, but I have never seen one personally
and I can think of situations where it would cause problems.

All in all, there doesn't seem to be too much wrong with this setup.
> <snip>
>

> Now for every file created by users logged into that machine, the ownership is changed to machine1 automatically. Is there any way to solve
> this problem? Thank you very much!
>
> Pakorn
> <snip>
Can you send the output of "mount" (with the password removed if you so
wish)?

*Michael Heydon - IT Administratorr *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>