[Samba] Re: using samba as nfs server replacement?

Pakorn Chutinimitkul pakorn at themonkstudio.com
Thu Apr 24 07:29:38 GMT 2008

Michael Heydon wrote:
> Pakorn Chutinimitkul wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>>     I updated Samba on both client and server to 3.0.28a. Client is
>> openSuSE 10.2. Server is Debian Lenny.  I noticed that newly created
>> file's
>> ownership will be changed to username that is used when mounting CIFS
>> volume (under -o username=xxx,password=xxx) and the permission will be
>> changed to what specified under samba configuration.
> Anyone who can log into the client can see the contents of fstab (and
> therefore your passwords), consider using a credentials file chmod'ed to
> 600.
>
>>  Here's my config
>>
>> [global]
>> <snip>
>>         socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE
>> SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>>
> Unless you have a good reason to be messing with the buffer sizes,
> don't. Modern OS's have perfectly good defaults, don't cripple them by
> using custom settings that were good 5 (10?) years ago.

Whoops! Didn't realize that the article I found is really really old. Thanks for the advice!
>> <snip>
>>
>> [testvolume1]
>>         comment = CIFS Mount
>>         path = /mnt/disk1
>>         valid users = @users
>>         admin users = @root
>>         write list = @users
>>         read only = No
>>         hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
>>
> This is OK-ish. The write list is pointless since the share is not read
> only. Do you really need the admin users setting? I'm sure there are
> situations where it is required, but I have never seen one personally
> and I can think of situations where it would cause problems.
>
> All in all, there doesn't seem to be too much wrong with this setup.
>> <snip>
>>

>> Now for every file created by users logged into that machine, the
>> ownership is changed to machine1 automatically. Is there any way to solve
>> this problem? Thank you very much!
>>
>> Pakorn
>> <snip>
> Can you send the output of "mount" (with the password removed if you so
> wish)?

Here's what I used to mount the CIFS volume

mount.cifs //192.168.0.1/testvolume1 /mnt-o username=machine1,password=machine1

and after that, here's the output from the mount command

//192.168.0.1/testvolume1 on /mnt type cifs (rw,mand)

Thank you!
Pakorn

--

Best Regards,