[Samba] Re: using samba as nfs server replacement?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Mon Apr 28 00:01:24 GMT 2008

Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Michael,
>
> <snip>
>> If we assume that cifs unix
>> extensions can be made to work, I could bring in my laptop which
>> contains a SUID root binary and mount it to my workstation.
>>

> But (regarding my error correction): ypu always can set the SUID flag on
> your laptop's "mount.cifs"!
>
> The server has to decide wether it will accept the mount try.

Sorry,  maybe I wasn't clear. If I bring in my laptop that is setup as a
samba server, then I could, for example, put a copy of bash on a share
on my laptop and make the bash binary SUID root (because of course, I
have root on my laptop). If I can then get my workstation to mount a
share from my laptop, I can run that copy of bash from the network share
and gain full root access to the workstation.

Sudo would probably offer a way around this.

> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

*Michael Heydon - IT Administratorr *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>