[Samba] Re: Big problems with 3.0.24-6etch6 Debian packages

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Tue Nov 27 18:48:41 GMT 2007

Quoting Marco De Vitis (starless at spin.it):

> Well, I know, but it wasn't like this for Samba on Sarge, when Simo Sorce
> promptly built upstream packages... but when Etch arrived I remember
> someone else was to take his role, can't remember who now.

If I'm correct, that should be Jerry Carter. He's however pretty busy
with release management as well.

We (both him and us official Debian maintainers) hope to have the
packaging converge so that Jerry and more generally the Samba Team can
more easily derive their Debian packages from ours.....but there are
still some patches that need discussion.

We expect that Debian lenny (and Ubuntu Hardy) packages will be much
less different from upstream samba, already. All this will help
lowering the duplicate work.

>> You might want to get packages built by the Samba team if you want to
>> keep your samba server with the bleeding edge samba.
>
> Uhm... how?
> I can only get here from samba.org:
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Debian/samba/3/
> ...but I don't even know which Debian version are these for.

Hmmm, I talked without checking and I was blindly assuming that these
packages were already built.

On the other hand, I think (but this should be checked as well) that
Debian packages from unstable may quite easily be rebuilt on an Etch
machine.

Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

# Sources packages sid
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian sid main non-free contrib

Then "apt-get update", then "apt-get source samba" in an empty directory

Go to samba-3.0.27a, run "dpkg-checkbuilddeps", then "debuild" or a
similar command. That would pretty straight build 3.0.27a packages for
etch.

(all this is unchecked: we try to keep backportability but I haven't
personnally tried to rebuild samba on an etch machine for quite a while)