[Samba] connection to IPC$ denied due to security descriptor

richid rich.schu at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 15:37:32 GMT 2007

Hey all,

I have a fileserver running Debian Etch and Samba 3.0.24 that I use to serve
media and private home directories.  I have a couple roommates, and
therefore have a couple accounts on the box for those users.  I had
everything working perfectly until last week when my system drive took a
crap.  I've reinstalled everything exactly the same (I think?) but now I am
having problems with some accounts not being able to connect to the shares.
My username can connect to my home share and the communal media share just
fine.  When I try to connect to another users home share or to the media
share with their username, I keep getting the password dialog box.  I've
ensured that they are in smbpasswd and that their password is correct.  I've
also verified this using smbclient.

DETAILS:

The log file is reporting this error when I try to connect:
    make_connection: connection to IPC$ denied due to security descriptor.

Here is output from smbclient:
    bob at warehouse:~$ smbclient //warehouse/media -U bob
    Password:
    Domain=[WAREHOUSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.24]
    smb: \> ls
      .                                   D        0  Thu Oct 18 11:25:22
2007
      ..                                  D        0  Wed Nov  7 21:47:06
2007
      audio                               D        0  Tue Nov 13 23:40:25
2007
      downloads                           D        0  Tue Nov 13 23:41:11
2007
      video                               D        0  Thu Nov 15 23:00:34
2007

                    44708 blocks of size 33553920. 25310 blocks available
    smb: \>

Here is my smb.conf:

[global]
   netbios name = warehouse
   server string = warehouse
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   invalid users = root
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   domain master = auto

force user = %U
force group = users

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   create mask = 0700
   directory mask = 0700
   force group = %G
   valid users = %S

[media]
   comment = Media
   path = /mnt/storage/media
   browsable = yes
   writeable = yes
   create mask = 0775
   directory mask = 0775
   #guest ok = yes
   hide files = /*.dat/

It's pretty basic, I'm not doing anything special here.  Anyone have any
idea what the problem is?  I've also read a couple other threads, and have
already tried removing the /var/run/samba/share_info.tdb file and restarting
Samba, but that hasn't worked.  I'm really stumped on this one, anyone else?

Thanks in advance,
Rich