[Samba] winbindd tdb cache

simo idra at samba.org
Tue May 15 17:29:35 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 18:41 +0200, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are running into a problem that winbindd sometimes caches negative
> entries into its tdb database. We are still investigating the reason for
> that.
> However, another question, when winbindd caches an entry into its tdb
> database, is there any timeout for those tdb entries? While walking through
> the code I don't see any relation between winbindd_cache.c and idmap_tdb.c.
> Is winbindd_cache.c only for memory related caching?
>
> If I would like to add a cache timeout to the tdb database, what would be
> the best approach?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bernd
>

> PS: We are still using samba-3.0.22, and for several reasons also don't want
> to update our customer systems.

In 3.0.25 we have reworked the idmap subsystem and we made available
both positive and negative cache timeouts for the cache (which is
separate from idmap_tdb itself now).

If you can;t change version you can probably borrow the code from there
somehow. I think I also posted some code for 3.0.24 a few months ago
that implemented a negative caching system with timeout, before we
decided for the major rework.
Search the archives.

Simo.

--