[Samba] samba problems. accounts expire after a hour, but work after reset

Collen Blijenberg collen at hermanjordan.nl
Mon Mar 12 14:01:11 GMT 2007

Hi Edmundo, the main problem we have here, is that all out of the blue,
the samba PDC and BDC
are giving error's.
like TRUST DOMAIN FAILED, or USER AUTH FAILED, MACHINE HAS NO ACCOUNT.
things like that.
but the funny part is, there is no reason for the servers to do that,
they run for a few hours (sometimes a day)
and then start spitting out these error's.

after resetting the PDC, all turns back to normal. and those error's go
away, and samba function as it should be.
but then after a while, it's back to the error's again.

we do use however the pdb-sql backend for storing the usernames and all...
in that period, of error's the sql get queried. so the backend does work.
and i can't find anny error's generated from the sql backend. also the
sql server is accessible in those error times.
(we use it for nss-mysql aswell)

so either the migration part went wrong (the sid <> uid part +1000), or
samba has a serious bug in the passwd plugin backend ??
the winbindd part are for some other servers in the domain.

our domain is only accessible for domain accounts, so no guests or other
accounts here. also all machines have registered to the domain
no anonymously accounts and all.
it's really driving me crazy this bug.

cheers

Collen