[Samba] "rec_read bad magic" error when printing... again

Tue Mar 6 14:52:40 GMT 2007

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 01:54:37PM +0100, Yves Glodt wrote:
> > If this really happens often to you, then you have some
> > basic problems with your setup.
>
> The setup is a stock Ubuntu 6.06, using only ubuntu packages.
> I have 25 servers and it happens about once a week in total.
> (This might not sound like a lot, but it creates a support ticket on each
> occurrence..)

This error should definitely not happen at all if everything
is running well. This _is_ a bug somewhere. It happens
completely randomly across all servers?

> > Either your hardware is
> > flaky
>
> I can not know 100% of course, but apart of the printing problem, the boxes
> run very well.
>
> > or your smbd processes tend to crash.
>
> I never had an smbd crashing so far (AFAIK). Samba version is 3.0.22.

You might not have noticed it, because clients automatically
reconnect. You could have panic messages in the log files.
Did you look there?

> I read somewhere that samba V3 would be able to recreate the tdb while
> running, but could not find a parameter for that. Is it possible at all?

Not that I'm aware of.

Volker