[Samba] "rec_read bad magic" error when printing... again

Yves Glodt y.glodt at sitasoftware.lu
Tue Mar 6 12:54:37 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 06 March 2007 11:01, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:02:35AM +0100, Yves Glodt wrote:
> > some of my servers regularly come up with this error, which makes
> > printing over samba impossible:
> >
> > Mar  6 09:06:44 server smbd[4431]: [2007/03/06 09:06:44, 0]
> > tdb/tdbutil.c:tdb_log(772)
> > Mar  6 09:06:44 server smbd[4431]:
> > tdb(/var/cache/samba/printing/printer.tdb): rec_read bad magic 0xd9fee666
> > at offset=22796
>
> If this really happens often to you, then you have some
> basic problems with your setup.

The setup is a stock Ubuntu 6.06, using only ubuntu packages.
I have 25 servers and it happens about once a week in total.
(This might not sound like a lot, but it creates a support ticket on each
occurrence..)

> Either your hardware is
> flaky

I can not know 100% of course, but apart of the printing problem, the boxes
run very well.

> or your smbd processes tend to crash.

I never had an smbd crashing so far (AFAIK). Samba version is 3.0.22.

> If you happen to
> use reiserfs for /var/cache/samba you might try to change
> that fs to ext3.

All my partitions are ext3, /var being on a separate one as well.

is it worth that I increase the loglevel, or is there anything else I can
watch for?

I read somewhere that samba V3 would be able to recreate the tdb while
running, but could not find a parameter for that. Is it possible at all?

yves