[Samba] Should samba be split between client & server

Jason Baker jbaker at glastender.com
Mon Jan 29 21:48:19 GMT 2007

> Samba is basically  used in 2 different ways:
It can also be used as a PDC without ADS involved at all, using Windows
XP clients. Highly recommended. IMHO I think SAMBA is more or less
designed as a replacement for a windows server. That is the beauty of
SAMBA, you can keep you Windows clients, and rid yourself of the high
overhead costs of running a Windows ADS. I think much of the difficulty
I am seeing on this board comes when someone tries to run SAMBA as a
client or domain member to a Windows ADS machine.
Configuring SAMBA as a PDC (especially with LDAP and Roaming Profiles)
is definitely not for the faint of heart. It is very challenging, but
you will be well rewarded. There is ample documentation out there to
help you make it work.
I am just wondering what issues we will all face with the coming of
Windows Vista. Once I start purchasing client machines with Vista
pre-installed, how will this impact making that new machine a member of
a SAMBA controlled domain?

*Jason Baker
*/IT Coordinator/

*Glastender Inc.*