[Samba] Should samba be split between client & server

Andrew Watkins andrew at dcs.bbk.ac.uk
Mon Jan 29 17:29:57 GMT 2007

The more I use samba and the more I read the e-mail coming into this
list, I believe that a new look should be taken into how samba his
configured, since more and more people are having problems with setup up
of samba.

Samba is basically  used in 2 different ways:

"client") In a Windows ADS environment where you want to access
facilities on UNIX servers:
	printers: - print to Unix printers.
	File-system: - access to Unix files plus ACL.

"server") In a Windows environment where you don't have (or don't want)
a windows ADS
	Samba Domain Server - Samba replaces the Microsoft ADS

I know you will say that it does all these things, but people are having
many problems setting it up (i.e. in a "client" mode you need an ldap
server if you want ACL to work) OR is it simply down to documentation OR
user error!

Andrew
PS.
I have been using samba for years and I would not be able to live with out!