[Samba] Auto Create user home directory

M Azer azermina at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 17:11:29 GMT 2007

now that all permissions are right - if i create a new user on the win 2003
active directory and specify a home user under profile i will get " the home
folder could not be created because: the network name cannot be found" I
know for sure I am getting that error because the user home folder doesn't
exist yet on the samba machine - is there any way to get the user home
created automatically once a new user are added to active directory.

Note: If the new user log in the linux terminal the home user will be
created automatically because i am using session required
/lib/security/$ISA/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0077
in my pam.d/system_auth. how do i get the same thing working when i create a
user with active directory.

Thanks for you help

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I removed the "valid users = %S" and it worked -  Thanks for you help

On 1/15/07, M Azer <azermina at gmail.com > wrote:Hello all,

I am running samba-3.0.23c-2 on Redhat 3 enterprise as ADS. I am able to see
the windows users and groups with wbinfo.

[root at itbox /]# getent passwd windowuser
windowuser:*:10000:10002:windowuser:/home/CAD/windowuser:/bin/bash

when i log to the network with one of the xp client machine i see home share
as well as a public share but i get access denied to both even after giving
the public share chmod 777 to everything on.

from the linux terminal i tried to:
[root at itbox /]# smbclient //itbox/windowuser -U windowuser
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_UNEXPECTED_NETWORK_ERROR

the second time I ran the same command i got:

[root at itbox /]# smbclient //itbox/windowuser -U windowuser
Password:
Domain=[CAD] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c-2]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

all of my windows users are able to logon the linux termainl with their
windows username and password

[global]
        security = ADS
        workgroup = CAD
        realm = CAD.TESTDOMAIN
        netbios name = itbox
        preferred master = no
        password server = 192.168.1.6
        client use spnego = yes
        server signing = auto
        encrypt passwords = yes
#winbind
        winbind separator = +
        idmap uid = 1000-20000
        idmap gid = 1000-20000
        winbind enum users = yes
        winbind enum groups = yes
        winbind use default domain = yes
        winbind cache time = 0
        winbind nested groups = yes
        template homedir = /home/%D/%U
        template shell = /bin/bash
#logs
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 3
        max log size= 50
#extras
        hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.0. 127.
[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        valid users = %S
        read only = No