[Samba] Group permissions issue migrating from 2.2.8a to 3.0.23a

Tim Wunder tim at thewunders.org
Mon Jan 15 17:02:18 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have a share that worked fine in samba 2.2.8a, users were able to read and
write to the share, and edit files. After migrating to 3.0.23a, users are no
longer able to edit existing files.

Samba 2.2.8a config:
[sales]
        comment = SALES
        path = /home/netshare/sales
        read list = @purch, @shipping
        write list = @adm, @mgt, @sales, @vag, +hap
        force group = +sales
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 00
        force directory mode = 01775
        vfs object = /usr/local/samba/recycle.so
        vfs options = /etc/samba/salesrecycle.conf

Samba 3.0.23a config:
[sales]
        comment = SALES
        path = /home/netshare/sales
        read list = @purch, @shipping
        write list = @adm, @mgt, @sales, @vag, +hap
        force group = +sales
        create mask = 0664
        directory mask = 00
        force directory mode = 01775
        vfs objects = recycle:recycle
        recycle:repository = .recycle/%U
        recycle:keeptree = Yes
        recycle:touch = Yes
        recycle:versions = No

the directory the file is in has the following permissions:
drwxrwxr-t  3 tpw sales
the file has:
-rwxrw-r--  1 tpw sales

I can only edit the file as user tpw. In samba 2.2.8a, anyone in the sales
group could edit the file.

Additionally, it seems that samba is changing the group to tpw when saving the
file as user tpw. The unix group "sales" exists and the user "tpw" is a
memeber of that group. Shouldn't the "force group = +sales" cause the group
to be "sales" when the file is saved?

Has something changed with samba? If so, how do I need to configure this share
to allow users in group sales to edit files?

Thanks,
Tim