[Samba] maybe OT: Univention.de UCS

mario ml at bortal.de
Thu Jan 11 16:34:04 GMT 2007

Hello Ingo,

i am impressed! A real univention guy ;)

Ingo Steuwer wrote:
> Hallo Mario,
>
> Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2007 15:39 schrieb mario:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> the UCS GUI Univention made looks quite nice and useful. Since they put
>> it open source it became interesting for us.
>>
>> I am a little confused that they only provide ISO images and not the
>> Management Project as source code since I don't want to depend on them.
>>

> at the moment we provide our customers installation-ISOs (please note that our
> binary-packages are not available under GPL)
What binary packages?

> , so to meet the GPL-rules the
> sources are also downloadble as ISO.
>
> In future we wan't to provide more typical "OSS-infrastructure" around those
> packages (mailinglist, SVN) but there is no timetable for that. So far there
> is a forum at http://forum.univention.de you may use.

On your homepage you mention that your web-admin-managment console
depends heavily on certain tools, patches and their versions.
Are there any plans to release it with less dependencies? I would quite
like to just grep a tarball and set it up on my ubuntu/suse box.

2.nd OT question: How do you/univension make money by releasing this
web-admin interface to the world?

>> Has someone got a little experience with it?
>>

> little ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Ingo Steuwer
>

>> Thanks, Mario