[Samba] maybe OT: Univention.de UCS

Ingo Steuwer steuwer at univention.de
Thu Jan 11 17:04:30 GMT 2007

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 11. Januar 2007 17:34 schrieb mario:
> Hello Ingo,
>
> i am impressed! A real univention guy ;)

I am not alone... ;)

> Ingo Steuwer wrote:
> > Hallo Mario,
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 10. Januar 2007 15:39 schrieb mario:
> >> Hello List,
> >>
> >> the UCS GUI Univention made looks quite nice and useful. Since they put
> >> it open source it became interesting for us.
> >>
> >> I am a little confused that they only provide ISO images and not the
> >> Management Project as source code since I don't want to depend on them.
> >
> > at the moment we provide our customers installation-ISOs (please note
> > that our binary-packages are not available under GPL)
>
> What binary packages?

the packages on the binary-ISO.

> > , so to meet the GPL-rules the
> > sources are also downloadble as ISO.
> >
> > In future we wan't to provide more typical "OSS-infrastructure" around
> > those packages (mailinglist, SVN) but there is no timetable for that. So
> > far there is a forum at http://forum.univention.de you may use.
>
> On your homepage you mention that your web-admin-managment console
> depends heavily on certain tools, patches and their versions.

at least if you look at the whole distribution, for example the
Kerberos-stuff, there are reasonable dependencies. We even have some
additions/patches in samba (see older discussions on samba-technical). That
doesn't mean that the Web Interface itself needs them, but it may happen that
parts of it are without function.

> Are there any plans to release it with less dependencies? I would quite
> like to just grep a tarball and set it up on my ubuntu/suse box.

I'd expect something like this to come, but as already mentioned there are no
timetables.

> 2.nd OT question: How do you/univension make money by releasing this
> web-admin interface to the world?

Well, how do you think Red Hat, Mysql or <insert your open-source vendor>
earns money?

Regards
Ingo

--
** Besuchen Sie uns auf der CeBIT vom 15.-21.3.2007 in Hannover **
           ** Im Linux-Park - Halle 5 - Stand G57/3 **

Ingo Steuwer            Projektmanagement         steuwer at univention.de
Univention GmbH         Linux for your Business   fon: +49 421 22 232- 0
Mary-Somerville-Str.1   28359 Bremen              fax: +49 421 22 232-99
                        http://www.univention.de