[Samba] Joining a SAMBA 4 TP4 Active Directory with WinXP

Mag. Leonhard Landrock 1977-Hamlet at gmx.at
Sun Feb 11 10:26:54 GMT 2007

Hello!

I just installed Samba 4 TP 4 (samba-4.0.0tp4.tar.gz) and installed it under a
vmware virtual machine running a minimal Debian Etch.

Some of the steps I did:

*) cd /usr/local/src
*) tar jxf /root/samba-4.0.0tp4.tar.gz
*) cd samba-4.0.0tp4/samba4/source
*) "./configure --with-fhs"
*) make proto all
*) make install
*) vim /etc/profile

PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/samba/sbin:/usr/local/samba/bin"

*) ./setup/provision --realm=LEOSENDE.FUN --domain=LEOSENDE --adminpass=<MYPASSWORD>
*) cp -v /usr/local/samba/var/lib/samba/private/leosende.fun.zone /etc/bind/
*) vim /etc/named.conf.local

zone "leosende.fun" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/leosende.fun.zone";
};

*) vim /usr/local/samba/etc/samba/smb.conf

[test]
    path = /tmp
    readonly = no

*) smbd
*) smbclient //localhost/test -Uadministrator%k6exst

*) Start a virtual machine with WinXP SP2 and trying to join the domain
LEOSENDE.FUN.

The last point (joining the domain) doesn't work. I try the username
Administrator and the passwort as set with "./setup/provision" but it doesn't
work. I simply get unknown username or wrong password.

NOTE: I have an german WinXP and I'am not sure what the right username for
joining the domain would be. I even tried "root" as usernam, but htat didn't
work either.

Is it possible to join the Domain "LEOSENDE.FUN"?
What do I have to do to join the domain?

Kind regards,
Leonhard.