[Samba] cygwin and linux permissions?

mikee mikee at mikee.ath.cx
Thu Feb 8 21:13:03 GMT 2007

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007, mikee might have said:

> I have a linux box (FC5) with samba 3.0.23c and most things are running fine.
> Today I'm setting up cygwin on a windows box so a user can ssh into the
> box. I figure out how to have cygwin authenticate using the samba PDC. The
> user gets the linux home directory that has been exported to windows H:\
> across samba. Now the user is trying to ssh back to a different unix box and
> ssh is complaining about file permissions. I track this back to samba in
> that the permissions seem odd.
>
> On linux I 'touch howard' and the file has permissions 0644, fine. On
> cygin and windows this file also has 0644, fine. On cygwin/windows Ichmod
> 0600 $file' and 'ls -l $file' and the file still shows 0644 and no errors.
>
> On linux if I 'chmod 0600 $file' and then 'ls -l $file' on windows the
> file permissions still show 0644. No change, like the file permissions ar
> cached somewhere.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Mike

Maybe this is not a cygwin issue and I'm just noticing it through cygwin.
I have a file ~/.ssh/id_rsa that on unix is set to 600. I want through cygwin
and 'ls -l ~/.ssh/id_rsa' for the reported permissions to be 600 (-rw-------),
however the reported permissions are 644 (-rw-r--r--). What setting in smb.conf
will force the proper reporting of 600?

Mike