[Samba] SAMBA under window?

hce webmail.hce at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 02:24:18 GMT 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 12:27 PM, Curtis Maloney <cmaloney at cardgate.net> wrote:
> hce wrote:
> > It is actually to mount a dumb linux device to a window file system,
> > just like to mount an usb stick to the window file system. Yes, if the
> > linux device (without samba on it) can be mounted by a window file
> > syste, then the window can config the linux device, modify data and
> > transfer data to it.
>
> So, your actual goal is to allow remote configuration of these Linux devices?
>
> Why must it be done via mounting them like a disk?  There are many simpler
> options that would require less code.
>
> > Please let me know if above explanation is still insufficient.
>
> You keep talking about mounting these devices... I don't see why you're so hung
> up on this approach.  Why must they be treated like a disk?  Why can't you, for
> instance, have them accept config updates via a simple web interface?  Or use
> dropbear and scp the files into place?  Or put a FTP server on them?
>
> Why take the very complex route of mounting a remote filesystem?

Yes, you are right, there are many solutions if you are a computer
skilled people or at least can play anothing on the computers. I am a
linux user myself, I can do whatever you want to play from my linux
box, I don't even need windows. But what about those who can only run
window file system, and only simply copy or delete files from the
window file systm, who has no idea to intall and run window ssh, scp
or ftp? (please don't ask me again why I should support them.)

My questions were:
(a) if we have some solution to install Samba to a window system or not;
(b) if there is small size of mini samba I can use to port it to a
small linux device?

Clearly (a) has been answed, (b) is still not sure.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim