[Samba] SAMBA under window?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Wed Dec 19 01:27:23 GMT 2007

hce wrote:
> It is actually to mount a dumb linux device to a window file system,
> just like to mount an usb stick to the window file system. Yes, if the
> linux device (without samba on it) can be mounted by a window file
> syste, then the window can config the linux device, modify data and
> transfer data to it.

So, your actual goal is to allow remote configuration of these Linux devices?

Why must it be done via mounting them like a disk?  There are many simpler
options that would require less code.

> Please let me know if above explanation is still insufficient.

You keep talking about mounting these devices... I don't see why you're so hung
up on this approach.  Why must they be treated like a disk?  Why can't you, for
instance, have them accept config updates via a simple web interface?  Or use
dropbear and scp the files into place?  Or put a FTP server on them?

Why take the very complex route of mounting a remote filesystem?

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net