[Samba] Add 2003 machine to samba domain: "Application popup: Windows - System Error : A duplicate name exists on the network."

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Aug 27 21:47:01 GMT 2007

On Monday 27 August 2007 10:35, Adam DiCaprio wrote:
> I am getting a duplicate name error and then
> "This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain
> controller in domain MAIL1 due to the following: There are currently no
> logon servers available to service the logon request. This may lead to
> authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the
> network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.
> "
>
> I did some searches with no luck. I can authenticate against the domain and
> see shares, but when I am adding a machine to the domain, everything
> appears ok until after the reboot with these messages being logged in the
> event log. This is a win2k3R2 machine connecting to samba 3.0.25b samba
> machine with an openldap backend on RHEL4.
>
> There are no duplicate machine names on the network so it is like the
> machine is being double registered or something. When I query LDAP there is
> only a single record for the machine.
>
> [global]
>   workgroup = MAIL1
>   netbios name = mail1

Your workgroup and server name are the same - in other words - you have a
duplicate name! Please change one of them.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Samba-Team Member

Author:
The Official Samba-3 HOWTO & Reference Guide, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882228
Samba-3 by Example, 2 Ed., ISBN: 0131882221X
Hardening Linux, ISBN: 0072254971
Other books in production.