[Samba] Add 2003 machine to samba domain: "Application popup: Windows - System Error : A duplicate name exists on the network."

Adam DiCaprio apdicaprio at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 15:35:09 GMT 2007

I am getting a duplicate name error and then
"This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain
controller in domain MAIL1 due to the following: There are currently no
logon servers available to service the logon request. This may lead to
authentication problems. Make sure that this computer is connected to the
network. If the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.
"

I did some searches with no luck. I can authenticate against the domain and
see shares, but when I am adding a machine to the domain, everything appears
ok until after the reboot with these messages being logged in the event log.
This is a win2k3R2 machine connecting to samba 3.0.25b samba machine with an
openldap backend on RHEL4.

There are no duplicate machine names on the network so it is like the
machine is being double registered or something. When I query LDAP there is
only a single record for the machine.

[global]
  workgroup = MAIL1
  netbios name = mail1
  os level = 33
  debug level = 10
  preferred master = yes
  enable privileges = yes
  server string = %h server (Mail 1, Samba Server)
  wins support =yes
  dns proxy = no
  name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
  log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
  log level = 3
  max log size = 1000
  syslog only = no
  syslog = 0
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = true
  ldap passwd sync = yes
  passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost/
  ldap group suffix = ou=groups
  ldap user suffix = ou=people
  ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
  obey pam restrictions = no
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
  domain logons = yes
  logon path = \\mail1\%U\profile
  logon home = \\mail1\%U
  add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos ""
%u
  add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u