[Samba] Memory usage

Tue Aug 21 07:35:03 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 10:59:01AM +0400, Rajeev R Veedu wrote:
> Could someone from the list help me to understand the memory usage by SMB
> process?.  I have a samba production server with about 50-70 SMB process.
> Initially we had 2gb of RAM and the top command showed almost all memory had
> been used. There were delays in the file access and listing directories from
> user side.
>
> Yesterday evening  we had increased the memory to 4 GB and it showed around
> 3GB free. But this morning when all users started accessing the files it
> went back to almost near to old figure. (about 1mb free space).  Before we
> upgrade to further  (say 8gb)  I would like to know how much memory each SMB
> process will take. '

The thumb rule for smbd is 2-3MB of real memory per
connected client. So with 2GB of RAM you definitely have
enough RAM. The slowdown you see is almost 100% due to other
things. The fact that you only see very little memory free
is a good thing and it won't change if you put 16gig into
your box: All non-used memory is used as cache.

Volker