[Samba] Memory usage

Rajeev R Veedu rajeev at cracknell.com
Tue Aug 21 06:59:01 GMT 2007

Could someone from the list help me to understand the memory usage by SMB
process?.  I have a samba production server with about 50-70 SMB process.
Initially we had 2gb of RAM and the top command showed almost all memory had
been used. There were delays in the file access and listing directories from
user side.

Yesterday evening  we had increased the memory to 4 GB and it showed around
3GB free. But this morning when all users started accessing the files it
went back to almost near to old figure. (about 1mb free space).  Before we
upgrade to further  (say 8gb)  I would like to know how much memory each SMB
process will take. '

Rajeev R. Veedu