[Samba] Memory usage

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 12:11:19 GMT 2007

> Yesterday evening  we had increased the memory to 4 GB and it showed around
> 3GB free. But this morning when all users started accessing the files it
> went back to almost near to old figure. (about 1mb free space).  Before we
> upgrade to further  (say 8gb)  I would like to know how much memory each SMB
> process will take. '

You do know that file cache is counted in the amount of free memory on
a linux system. So any linux box that is on for long enough will show
only a few MB free? Unless you are seeing swap being used there should
be no problem with this and you probably do not need any more memory.

My home computer has 4GB of memory and from the free command I have
33MB free but 3.15GB of my memory is file cache.  I rebooted yesterday
so I would expect the 33MB to go down some more.

# free
Mem:       4048432    4015412      33020          0     177512    2942980
-/+ buffers/cache:     894920    3153512
Swap:      7823632        696    7822936

John