[Samba] samba3 upgrade misery

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Aug 16 00:07:19 GMT 2007

Greetings, all

We've been running samba2 for far too long - I'd just never found the time to
upgrade, and it wasn't a priority since it WORKED.  Our little Solaris9/SPARC64
box happily served our few gigs of files to 20 users, and played the part of a PDC.

Then I upgraded CUPS, and discovered samba2 doesn't like cups-1.2 libs, and
figured it was as good an excuse to make the time to upgrade.

I found the online doco about upgrading 2 to 3 (the lack of which previously had
been another major reason to avoid it).  I downloaded the latest source, and it
compiled _relatively_ OK.  There was a libtool issue (it assumes you're using
GNU binutils if you're using GCC, and messes up Solaris' ld, but building static
fixes that).

The actual upgrade seemed to go very smoothly.  The most burdensome part was
having to explicitly tell all the client machines the IP of the WINS server -
even though all the doco I could find said I shouldn't need or want to.

Then the user complaints started.  The network is _slow_.  Files can take
minutes to load.  I tried eliminating all the variables - disable the virus
checker, copy the file locally, etc etc.

It's samba.

Checking the logs, I can see why!  All the client machines are reconnecting
periodically, most likely due to the smbd task choking off sockets:

[2007/08/16 09:13:41, 0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(527)
   open_sockets_smbd: accept: Software caused connection abort
[2007/08/16 09:15:16, 0] lib/util_sock.c:set_socket_options(261)
   Failed to set socket option SO_KEEPALIVE (Error Invalid argument)
[2007/08/16 09:15:16, 0] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_addr(1232)
   getpeername failed. Error was Transport endpoint is not connected
[2007/08/16 09:25:42, 0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(527)
   open_sockets_smbd: accept: Software caused connection abort
[2007/08/16 09:36:42, 0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(527)
   open_sockets_smbd: accept: Software caused connection abort
[2007/08/16 09:47:50, 0] smbd/server.c:open_sockets_smbd(527)
   open_sockets_smbd: accept: Software caused connection abort

First, the details:
Solaris 9
Samba 3.0.25b
GCC 3.4.6

1) Why are so many socket connections being aborted?  How can I track down the
cause?

2) Why does set_socket_options have errors for ANY options I specify?  Samba2
didn't.

3) And what can I say to my boss who keeps asking "What does samba3 give us over
samba2?"  Because frankly, I'm coming up empty.

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net