[Samba] samba3 upgrade misery

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Thu Aug 16 13:05:04 GMT 2007

Curtis Maloney wrote, On 15-08-2007 21:07:
> Greetings, all

Hey Curtis,

[...]
> Then the user complaints started.  The network is _slow_.  Files can take
> minutes to load.  I tried eliminating all the variables - disable the virus
> checker, copy the file locally, etc etc.

	There are quite a few messages on the archive about
different speed problems with regards to Samba serving files,
frankly speaking, I couldn't tell you one idea, I've been
fortunate enough to not have performance problems with my
Samba boxes, but all in all, it seems to be related with
several small good practices of oplocks, socket options and
other smb.conf parameters.

> It's samba.
[...]

> First, the details:
> Solaris 9
> Samba 3.0.25b
> GCC 3.4.6
>
> 1) Why are so many socket connections being aborted?  How can I track down the
> cause?

	Try to increase the debug level (log level) to 10, you
can also strace the process and/or capture the packages to try
to figure out something.

> 2) Why does set_socket_options have errors for ANY options I specify?  Samba2
> didn't.

	What options did you tried? Can you post more details
about your smb.conf?

> 3) And what can I say to my boss who keeps asking "What does samba3 give us over
> samba2?"  Because frankly, I'm coming up empty.

	First, maintainance, Samba2 is deprecated, no security
updates. It is better to "talk" with client machines in several
ways. It uses tdbs and/or LDAP, account policies, group mappings.

	I'm not sure if you are using LDAP, it is a powerful
resource, specially if you want to have PDC/BDC behaviour. The
Samba3 changes a few points in the course of his development, I
don't know what migration doc you read, but if it is not about
3.0.25, you need to check a few extra points from the release
notes that will solve a few problems.

	I hope this helps.
	Kind regards,
- --