[Samba] Re: samba Digest, Vol 56, Issue 15

joop gerritse jjge at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 15 19:26:40 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 14 August 2007 14:03:05 John Drescher wrote:
> > commented out the remote announce line, so I guess that is not part of
> > the mechanism.
>
> This is only for networks with more than one subnet.

Nevertheless, today I found out that it is also needed on a single LAN with
several workgroups.

I have two servers, both domain controllers:
Server1 has workgroup name = LIEMERS-MUSEUM
Server2 has workgroup name = LIEMERS2MUSEUM

Without the remote announce, I could see both workgroups in Network
Neighborhood => Complete network, but I only saw server 1 in Network
neighborhood itself.

Only after uncommenting the line
remote announce = 10.0.0.3/LIEMERS-MUSEUM
(where 10.0.0.3 is the address of Server1) I could see Server2 in the network
neighborhood.