[Samba] winbindd PID name resolution mis-behaviour with Linux (openSuse 10.1)

Kristopher.Lalletti at present.ca Kristopher.Lalletti at present.ca
Thu Apr 26 13:56:28 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I'm running Samba quite well on my OpenSuse 10.1 PPC using samba
3.0.22-13.27-1162-SUSE-CODE10 integrated with winbindd and idmap_rid
support to a Windows 2003 AD.

However, I've encountered two issues:

1. username resolution of PID UID's stay numeric, the operating system is
not resolving the UID of the process and leaving it numric.
2. in another deployment (with exact smb.conf, however this time using a
Windows 2000 domain), I encounter the same issue as #1, but this time, the
operating-system is trying to resolve the UID's and taking significant
time per process that is owned by a winbind-provided UID.

Yet, when I do a getent passwd, or getent group, everything is listed
properly. When I list files on my filesystem owned by winbind-provided
UID's, the names and groups resolve, everything works, except for process
UID name resolution.

How is the operating system hooked into winbind to resolve external
usernames?  The first scenario of the problem where names simply not
resolving instantaneously isn't much of a problem, since I can execute
programs like a ps -ef without having to wait, however, on my 2nd system
when I do the same command, I have to wait about 10-15 seconds for each
line having a PID owned by a winbind provided UID.

Any hints?  Workarounds?  It seems to apply on Suse 10, since Suse 9 works
flawlessly.

Cheers
Kris

My /etc/samba/smb.conf

[global]
        workgroup = MYWORKGROUP
        map to guest = Bad User
        template homedir = /srv/fs/home/%U
        template shell = /srv/fs/scripts/smbshwrapper
        winbind nss info = template
        idmap backend = rid:MYWORKGROUP=1000-100000000000
        idmap gid = 1000-100000000000
        idmap uid = 1000-100000000000
        allow trusted domains = Yes
        realm = MYWORKGROUP.local
        security = ADS

        winbind refresh tickets = true
        winbind offline logon = true

        winbind enum users = true
        winbind enum groups = true

        winbind use default domain = yes

        winbind nested groups = no

        name resolve order = wins host bcast

        wins server = 172.23.23.250 172.23.23.251
        wins support = no

        unix charset = UTF8

        load printers = no
        printcap name = /dev/null