[Samba] requesting assistance in samba-samba migration

Gary Dale garydale at torfree.net
Mon Apr 16 20:39:48 GMT 2007

The user's profile is usually stored locally. If you log on as the same
user, you should get the same profile. The only time this wouldn't
happen was if Windows thought you were logging on a new user. It would
do this if your new server didn't have the same user database.

In other words, it's not sufficient to set up a new Samba server. You
also need to migrate the user account information. Since you are
currently using LDAP, that should be simple. Simply point your new Samba
server to use the same LDAP database that the current Samba server uses.

If you want to migrate to a different datastore (not use LDAP), do that
in a separate step. However, most people seem to prefer using LDAP. Once
you've got it working with Samba, why would you want to switch?